Thursday, August 01, 2019

Not quite what I had in mind

God has a sense of humor.  No surprise since He is the creator of all things that He would also create humor and use it.  Sometimes, though, I think He saves testing his really big jokes on me.

As I neared 60, the “spare tire” began to increase in size.  Couple this with a high cholesterol reading (always been in the almost too low range) and you have the making of a not too good old woman.  I am active but needed to step up my game.  My motivation was sparse so I prayed for God to help me with the problem and provide a solution to my weight loss.  I was thinking He would give me a taste for Weight Watchers Food, free Nutrisystem meals or restore my knees so I could run again.  It also occurred to me he could just have me wake up pounds lighter with no work at all.  I go to bed overweight and wake up svelte. That kind of thing.





Instead, God sent me a dog.






I have been the owner of 2 cats (actually 2 sets of 2 cats) for over 20 years.  They travel with us, are independent, use the litter box and easy to manage.  Except for the demand for treats and food at 6 am, they have been lovely pets.  The dog, on the other hand, has disrupted the household (and me) in ways you cannot imagine.

  1. He has to be walked. Several times a day.  We live in a zero lot line home with no yard and also travel extensively in an RV.  The dog has to be walked for exercise and my husband has a bad back which precludes him from walking long distances so guess who has to walk the dog.  Me.
  2. The dog has to be walked early in the am.  No more lounging in my jammies drinking coffee until noon.  Nope, it’s feet hit the floor, brush teeth, throw on walking clothes and walk the dog.  I don’t even get a sip of Coffee!!
  3. The dog has to be walked late morning and it has to be a long walk to calm him down.  He is still a puppy weighing 42 pounds.  When that wound up energy comes at you ... well.... it’s good to keep him exhausted.
  4. The dog has to be walked in the afternoon.  The dog likes treats.  The dog responds to training with treats so I have to walk him for extra exercise so he doesn’t get any heavier than 42 pounds.  We don’t need a 60 pound lap dog.  (Did I mention the dog thinks he is a Chihuahua?)
  5. The dog has to be walked before bedtime to prohibit being rudely awaken to a wet nose in my face or howling in the middle of the night.  He takes great pride in being housebroken.
I am not sure if it is the 10,000 steps per day or the profuse sweating that occurs during my walks that has started the weight loss but a few pounds have been shed, I am sleeping like a baby and my stress seems to be less.  

God has a sense of humor but he also knows what we need when we need it.  Even if we don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Out of the box tips for surviving the week.

Photo by  Jonny Caspari  on  Unsplash So this whole exploration of methodologies for surviving the week has taken on a life of it's...