Saturday, August 10, 2013

High altitude

Pikes Peak

What I Learned While Living at a High Altitude for One Week

Hubby and I just returned from a glorious, lovely vacation week in Colorado visiting our Besties.  Their home resides at 7,000 feet which, as we learned, dictates a little adjusting.  Felt it was my duty to share the things I learned while living in the air in Colorado in case you decide to take a little trip to the area.

 ****************************************************************************************
  1. Wildlife does not appear upon command - even at the Zoo.  Many thanks to my "friends" who offered suggestions for drawing bears out of the woods for viewing including "tying a steak around my neck."  I do, however, have to admit that by the end of the week I was so desperate to see a bear that I thought about it.
  2. Heavy breathing is acceptable even in non-romantic situations.  Have mercy! It was embarrassing to call friends back home and leave messages.  I am sure several people hung up thinking was some type of pervert leaving a message as it took me several raspy draws of oxygen before I could start speaking.  Perhaps this is the reason I never saw a bear.  They heard me coming from a mile away.
  3. Things packed at a low altitude explode when opened at a high altitude.  I experienced this with sunscreen.  Luckily I was on the side of a mountain stream and sunscreen went everywhere and I mean everywhere.  I covered myself, hubby, friends and most of the fish in the stream.  Do fish get sunburned??
  4. You get "fluffier" at a high altitude cuz the air is thinner and doesn't hold in your fat.  Bring your big pants.
  5. The margin of error while driving up the side of a mountain at 14,000 feet with a 12,000 foot drop off on the left and a shear cliff on the right is.... 0.
  6. You not only get "fluffier" but you also burp a lot cuz the air is thin and the burps just jump right out with absolutely no warning!
  7. People who live at 7,000 feet do not have air conditioning.  WHAT!!!!!!!  Yes, it is true.  I lived in fear of having a menopausal hot flash and going crazy enough to strip off my clothes to run naked through the yard.  Probably would have seen a bear though.
  8. Finally, life is much sweeter when you have good friends to share your experiences.  Love ya David and Marsha.  Thanks for sharing your high-altitude home with us.  It was a blast!!!  Even though we didn't see a bear.

Out of the box tips for surviving the week.

Photo by  Jonny Caspari  on  Unsplash So this whole exploration of methodologies for surviving the week has taken on a life of it's...